Saturday, September 24, 2005

More Scientific Illiteracy

This example comes from a quote published in Northwestern University's "The Daily Northwestern."

In an article discussing a new evolutionary processes minor, a professor of religion was quoted as saying she was skeptical about both evolution and intelligent design theories because “Both of them are faith claims. It is a claim about a truth that cannot be proven scientifically.”

When ranking oxymorons, "proven scientifically" can be placed right up there near the top of the list. The illiteracy comes in not understanding that all scientific theories are provisional and must be continually validated against new information or a new understanding of old information. Therefore nothing can ever be "proven scientifically." Even the Theory of Gravity is provisional. The most science can say is that an accepted theory best explains the observations and evidence as they are understood. That could all change tomorrow.

The more consistent a theory is shown to be and the more evidence accumulated that substantiates the theory, the stronger becomes the presumption that the theory is accurate. However's it's like Zeno's Racetrack paradox; you can get closer and closer to the finish line, but you never quite make it all the way there.

That a university professor, even a professor of religion, doesn't understand this REALLY scares me!

Evolution has repeatedly been demonstrated as accurate in explaining biological diversity and science, through it's offspring technology, has repeatedly been demonstrated as accurate across a wide spectrum. Intelligent Design on the other hand doesn't even leave the starting gate. It explains nothing; it simply relies upon GOD DID IT. You will notice that I'm not buying the Discovery Institute's oft expressed disclaimer that the intelligent designer need not be a god. If not a supernatural entitity, then who the hell designed the intelligent designer?

3 Comments:

Blogger melloman said...

Hey Alencon GREAT title More Scientific Illiteracy. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alencon GREAT title More Scientific Illiteracy. I am actually looking for horse supplies related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse supplies related blogs. Thank you.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Alencon, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title More Scientific Illiteracy. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a equine supplies related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my equine supplies related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link equine supplies. Thank you and I wish you well .

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home