Tuesday, October 25, 2005

More of the same

I keep reading articles from various places around the country, but to be honest, I haven’t seen anything new.

The Intelligent Design folks keep claiming its science and that the refusal to accept Intelligent Design by the scientific community is some kind of censorship. Come on guys, how about you haven't presented anything of substance beyond "Wow, that looks designed to me" as evidence. As a matter of fact, after listening to Behe, I'm not even sure what the hell the hypothesis is anymore nor do I suspect does anyone else including Behe.

I got the impression that Mike is sort of making things up as he goes along and not worrying about the accuracy of what he makes up. I also found it rather problematic that NO ADVANCES have been made in "Intelligent Design" since the hypothesis was first articulated some 15+ years ago while every real science, including molecular biology, is advancing at warp speed.

I did find it interesting that Behe thinks the “discovery” of Intelligent Design ranks as one of the great scientific achievements in history comparable to Newton, Einstein and others of that stature. The man does have some arrogance doesn’t he? I hate to tell him, but “Intelligent Design” was documented by the ancient Hebrews some 3,000 years ago and they presented a better case.

A new telephone poll by CBS claims that 51% of the country believes God created man in his current form while some 45% accept that man evolved and most of those, 30% out of the 45%, believe that evolution was divinely guided.

I don’t have a lot of faith in telephone polls and these numbers are significantly different from the higher resolution poll done by the Pew Research Center in August so I’ll take the CBS results with a grain of salt.

The President of Cornell University, in his state of the University address, while clearly trying to call for an atmosphere of co-operation and compromise in what appears to be a highly divided country, also clearly labeled Intelligent Design as not science.

Intelligent Design advocates are holding a conference in Prague however most Czech scholars are ignoring it. The chairman of the Czech Academy of Sciences called the conference "useless."

The Dover trial is behind schedule apparently but should be nearing its end. I’m having some trouble figuring out what is being accomplished there. I suspect that the court made up its mind before the trial even began and nothing that occurs is going to change that position. Unfortunately I have no clue as to what that position is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home